Aged People

The Julia Creek Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) helps people continue to live in their home and community independently.

The CHSP Program is a joint Commonwealth and Council run initiative. It funds basic maintenance and support services to help frail older people and younger people with disabilities to continue living in their community.

Who can access CHSP services? Services are available to people:

  • aged 65 years and over (r 50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people), or
  • 50 years or older (45 years or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) and on a low income, homeless, or at risk of being homeless.

The program delivers the following services:

  • Centre Based Day Care-Every Wednesday from 9:30 to 12:30 pm at the Father Bill Busuttin Centre
  • Personal Care - such as help with bathing, dressing, grooming and eating
  • Nursing Care
  • Delivery of meals
  • Home Maintenance- Lawn Mowing and home maintenance
  • Social Support - help with shopping, banking, medical appointments and general support for clients
  • Domestic Assistance - help in the home for cleaning for clients on a weekly basis
  • Transport - Transport to and from Centre Based Care, shopping and some medical appointments.

For more information on the services available contact CHSP Coordinator - Tanya Parry on 07 4746 7166 or email

How do I know if CHSP is right for me? 

Ask yourself these questions:

  • Are you 65 years or older, or 50 years or older and identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person?
  • Are you still living at home?
  • Do you think that if you don't get some basic help at home, you might have to go into an aged care home before you're ready?

If you answer 'yes' to these questions, then perhaps you or your carer should apply for home help services from your local CHSP service provider.

For more information on the services available for CHSP contact Tanya Parry on or 0400 758 722.


Council provides affordable accommodation for older persons living in McKinlay Shire to enable them to continue living independently in the community with limited service support. Council maintains eight independent living units consisting of one and two-bedroom styles. View the Independent Living Units for Older Persons Policy. To access an application form please contact Council’s Administration Officer on 47467166 or email or download an application form.