Right to Information

The Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010 (the PID Act) aims to ensure that government is open and accountable by providing protection for those who speak out about wrongdoing or in other words, make a public interest disclosure (PID). Making a public interest disclosure is sometimes referred to as ‘whistle blowing'.

What is a Public Interest Disclosure?

A Public Interest Disclosure (PID) is a report of a suspected wrong doing or danger. For an allegation, to be considered a PID and attract the protections under the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010, it must be:

  • Public interest information about substantial and specific wrongdoing or danger
  • An appropriate disclosure
  • Made to proper authority

Does McKinlay Shire Council have a policy regarding PIDs?

McKinlay Shire Council has adopted a Policy, a Management Plan and a Procedure to ensure the appropriate handling of PIDs.

How do I make a PID?

A PID can be made orally or in writing.

  • To make your PID in writing you can, if you choose, use the Public Interest Disclosure Form and address your PID to the Chief Executive Officer and clearly mark the sealed envelope as Public Interest Disclosure – Private and Confidential.
  • You can also phone Council on 07 4746 7166 and ask for the Director of Corporate Services.

Disclosures to other Agencies

Alternatively, you can make your disclosure to the Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) if it concerns corrupt conduct including reprisal, the Queensland Ombudsman, if it concerns maladministration or the Queensland Audit Office for disclosures about substantial misuse of resources.

Crime and Corruption Commission
By email:
By letter: Crime and Corruption Commission
GPO Box 3123
Brisbane Qld 4001

By Phone:

(07) 3360 6060
1800 061 611 (toll-free outside Brisbane)

Level 2, North Tower Green Square
515 St Pauls Terrace
Fortitude Valley
Brisbane Qld 4001

Queensland Ombudsman
Queensland Ombudsman
Level 18, 53 Albert Street, Brisbane
GPO Box 3314, Brisbane Qld 4001
Telephone: (07) 3005 7000 Freecall: 1800 068 908 (toll free outside Brisbane)

Where do I get more information?

For more information refer to Council's PID PolicyPID Management PlanPID Procedure, or alternatively contact Council's Director of Corporate Services via:
Phone: (07) 4746 7166

The Queensland Ombudsman is the oversight body of Public Sector agencies for PIDs and fact sheets and information guidelines regarding PIDs and your rights and obligations under the PID Act are available from

Information regarding Ethics in the public service can be accessed from the Queensland Government Website.