Julia Creek Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) is a basic home help program funded by the Australian Government. It is for older people who are mostly – but not completely – able to live and cope on their own, and don't yet need higher levels of care at home. The Program is important for our Shire as it helps people stay in their home and community.
The program delivers the following services:
- Centre Based Day Care-Every Wednesday from 9:30 to 1:00pm at the Julia Creek CHSP Centre;
- Personal Care - help with bathing or showering, dressing, hair care and going to the toilet;
- Home Maintenance - minor general repair and care of your house or yard, for example, changing light bulbs and replacing tap washers or lawn mowing;
- Social Support - gives people a hand by taking them shopping, banking or to appointments, or just providing company for a chat;
- Domestic Assistance - household jobs like cleaning, clothes washing and ironing;
- Transport - helps people get out and about to shopping or to local appointments.
- Nursing care – a qualified nurse comes to your home and may, for example, dress a wound or provide medication advice.
- Meals on Wheels - operates weekdays for lunch
How do I know if CHSP is right for me?
Ask yourself these questions:
- Are you 65 years or older, or 50 years or older and identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person?
- Are you still living at home?
- Do you think that if you don't get some basic help at home, you might have to go into an aged care home before you're ready?
If you answer 'yes' to these questions, then perhaps you or your carer should apply for home help services from your local CHSP service provider.
For more information on the services available for CHSP contact Tanya Parry on email@example.com or 0400 758 722.