The McKinlay Shire Health Advisory Panel consists of all local health service providers to the Shire. The Panel meet quarterly to discuss relevant health issue. There are also two community representatives - Janene Fegan and Gina Harrington. Please contact the representatives if you would like to raise an issue at the meeting.
Work: 4746 7140
Telephone: 4746 8769
The Julia Creek Hospital (Queensland Health) is currently looking for a Permanent Full Time Medical Superintendent with Right of Private Practice.
Julia Creek QLD - The Gateway to the Gulf - will offer the right person an exciting career opportunity
in a rural and remote setting. As the General Practitioner in Julia Creek you will be providing the
town and surrounding communities a valuable service, whilst enjoying all aspects of working in a
quiet country environment.
Click here to view a package with information about Julia Creek and the Role Description.
For more information regarding rural GP recruitment please visit the Health Workforce Queensland website.
Community Health Nurse
The Community Health Nurse works to support the provision of Aged Care Services, health promotion to all ages and in home post acute care.
The Community Health Nurse works in partnership with:
- The Shire Community through McKinlay Shire Council
- Mt Isa District Health Service
- Julia Creek Hospital
- Queensland Ambulance Service
- Medicare Local
Home and Community Care (HACC)
- Local GP
- Royal Flying Doctor Service
Some Useful Links for Health Information:
- Women's Health:www.womhealth.org.au
- Men's Health:www.49.com.au
- Mental Health:www.beyondblue.org.au
- Children's Health:
Julia Creek Hospital
Julia Creek Hospital provides a primary level of acute care services.
- An emergency service component which manages resuscitation and stabilisation prior to referral to the secondary or tertiary hospital;
- General management of medical and aged patients;
- General practice clinics;
- Basic radiography;
- Pathology sample collection;
- Video conferencing available for consultations
- Mental Health;
- Oral Health;
- Child Health;
Telephone: 07 4746 4000
Fax: 07 4746 7508
Medicare Local have medical specialists that visit Julia Creek and McKinlay.
Click here to download the current October to December 2013 visiting timetable.
Julia Creek Medical Centre
The Julia Creek Medical Centre is located in Quarrell Street, Julia Creek - 47 467159.
Please note the new opening hours of the Julia Creek Medical Centre.
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 2-5pm and Saturday mornings from 10-12pm.
To make an appointment please contact the Julia Creek Hospital on 47 464 000.
McKinlay Bush Nurse
The McKinlay Bush Nursing Centre is opened Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm. (Outside of these hours the procedure is to contact the RFDS and/or 000.) Closed on Public Holidays.
Services provided include:
- health promotion and education
- well person health checks
- home visits
- basic pharmacy
- chronic disease management
- home and community care (nursing care)
- RFDS monthly clinic visits
- referral to allied health services and
- emergency care.
Area serviced is primarily McKinlay township and surrounding properties and Kynuna.
Phone: 07 4746 8505
The centre is auspiced by Medicare Local.